[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update update - what can we do to reduce workload?

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Wed Sep 5 01:53:17 EST 2012

I hope nobody minds too much if I raise one little selfish concern...

> LA now has a relationship with a
> travel agent who is able to do all of this work and then send LA a single
> invoice at the end - the LCA teams now just need to put the speakers in
> touch with the travel agent and they’re done.

As one of those obnoxious speakers who has to be flown all over the world,
I have truly come to dread the words "our travel agent will arrange a
flight for you."  I always end up going several rounds with such people
before it's possible to come up with an itinerary that maximizes my
chances of actually arriving on time and in a condition to give a coherent
talk.  Those of us who do a lot of this are happy (OK, willing) to go
cheap, but control over the details makes a huge difference; I sure hope
it will remain possible to make my own arrangements.

Thanks,

jon