[Linux-aus] LCA2014 - Next steps to get it done?

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Tue Sep 4 14:10:01 EST 2012

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:51:43PM -0400, David Jorm wrote:
> > As Luke John mentioned, the Perth team is already (at the request of
> > the Council) working on a bid that's going to rely on a PCO -
> > they're currently shopping around to find one that can fit within
> > their budget. We're definitely willing to consider other bids that
> > do the same.
>
> Somehow I missed that part of the thread - I see it now. In that case I will leave it to the Perth team and not submit a bid.

I'd really love you to still submit a bid.

This is part of the problem we have every year, "Oh Perth is biding so
I don't need to". I'd really like to turn that type of attitude
around. Put a bid in anyway, wouldn't you rather that you got to run
LCA instead of Perth :)

Also even if you don't get in, we still need to run LCA in 2015, and
practice helps.

As a member of a council I would love to be able to choose between two
good bids than just have to accept the only bid we received.

I think it is worth making the point here, it is the LA councils
responsibility to ensure that the money LA has is spent wisely for the
benefit of its members. That's what governance is all about.

This means if we only get one bid and we don't think it is up to the
task of running a successful conference and we don't believe we can
mentor the team through the difficulties we see with the bid then we'll
be back to square one.

Short story the more bids the better!

This should in no way be seen as any sort of comment on the quality of
a possible Perth bid, I'm sure it will be an awesome bid :)

Cheers,
John

--
John