[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update update - what can we do to reduce workload?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:57:31 EST 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:
> Seriously, just get NextDayVideo to do the video; it's cost effective and
> low touch. They have done a huge number of events including PyCon AU (the
> last 3 events, plus an LA event) and PyCon US (an event 4 times the size of
> LCA). The biggest restriction for them is how fast the upload pipe is, with
> sufficient upload speed they really do provide videos the next day. They

Yep, PyCon AU's videos were online the day after Ryan from NDV
returned home (we had rather poor speed at our conference venue).

At LCA2011, videos from Monday were online by the Wednesday *DURING*
the conference. You can't beat that.

> know all the tricks to getting good video and where all the problems occur
> (for example, making sure you pick up chargers, cabling and spares from the
> A/V place). It's taken them 5 years to get this right, it is not something a
> new team is going to get right first time.

And to prove how right they've got it, compare the LCA2011 videos to
the LCA2010 videos. I know which I'd prefer.

> As an ex-PyCon AU I highly recommend their services, and I'm sure Chris and
> Josh from this year would as well.

Absolutely.

--Chris

--