[Linux-aus] Sydney's bid for LCA2014 and 2015

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Tue Oct 2 11:08:14 EST 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012, Tim Ansell wrote:
> Please note that speakers are welcome to apply for these grants too.

Not sure if that was directed at me or the list: if at me, yes I noticed. It's
just that the bid document says "A majority of our speakers work for large
corporations that are happy to pay both their travel and accommodation and LCA
does currently not utilising this fact."

It seems to me, at least if I am understanding the sentence correctly, that
LCA has utilised this fact for many years: it doesn't spend much of its money
on large-corp speakers, it spends it on other speakers. Hence, factual
correction re how past LCAs have spent their money. Yes, they've spent it on
speakers. No, they haven't spent much of it on large-corp folks.

-Mary