No subject

Tue Nov 20 10:27:19 EST 2012

same name, no distribution of preferences can provide the required<br>
support needed to change the name. =A0The flowchart referred to is<br>
deficient in this regard, as is the PHP code to which Anthony Towns<br>
directed me, at<br>
/head:/authenticated/election-result.inc" target=3D"_blank">http://bazaar.l=
aunchpad.net/~memberdb-owners/memberdb/trunk/view/head:/authenticated/elect=
ion-result.inc</a>.<br>

Another deficiency in the flowchart, also relating to keeping the<br>
current name, is that preferences following &quot;no change of name&quot; m=
ust not<br>
be distributed, nor may it be eliminated. =A0Allow me to explain in<br>
greater detail: For sake of example, suppose only three choices are<br>
available, &quot;name 1&quot;, &quot;name 2&quot; and &quot;no change&quot;=
; and that first<br>
preferences fall in ratio 40 : 34 : 26. =A0According to the flowchart, &quo=
t;no<br>
change&quot; should be eliminated as the minority candidate; however no new=
name can garner 75% support if 26% of voters support no change and<br>
eliminating that candidate with 26% of votes would pervert that truth.<br>
Eliminating &quot;no change&quot; as &quot;last place candidate&quot; would=
 be improper.<br>
Since &quot;no change&quot; must not be eliminated, it follows that prefere=
nces<br>
cannot flow from that candidate.<br>
Of course, it must be admitted that this election cannot directly result<br=

in change of name. =A0That may only be done by special resolution, which<br=

requires the text of the proposed resolution to be circulated 21-days<br>
prior to the meeting. =A0What we currently are voting for is to choose the<=
br>
name that will form the basis of that special resolution. =A0The Council<br=

probably can, should they so choose, eliminate &quot;no change&quot; if it =
is the<br>
minority candidate, but I argue this would be deceit, as well as<br>
pointless. =A0The point is, members who want to keep the name unchanged<br>
don&#39;t need to vote in this election; they need only vote against the<br=

special resolution that necessarily must be proposed. =A0I urge members<br>
who want to keep the current name to vote in this election as a courtesy<br=

to the Council; just as I urge the Council never to treat &quot;no change&q=
uot; as<br>
a minority candidate.<br>
Finally, so as not to disadvantage members who are unable to attend the<br>
AGM, I ask that a postal ballot be conducted, for which a (non-committee<br=

member) returning officer must be appointed.<br>
It is a matter of great disappointment to me that the previous council<br>
mindfully and explicitly chose to discard the old constitution without<br>
including electronic voting at elections in the new one; that provision<br>
had been approved by members (even if the Director General had not yet<br>
been notified.) =A0It cannot be said that this was an oversight as the<br>
point was raised during extended debate. =A0I regret that a postal ballot<b=
r>
will be a significant expense, however the only alternative (under the<br>
new constitution) would disenfranchise a great portion of our members.<br>