[Linux-aus] A thread just for names...

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:58:41 EST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 06:25, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:
> On 30/04/2012 6:09 PM, "Clinton Roy" <clinton.roy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://wiki.linux.org.au/New_Names
>
> Why has "open source" been branded as software specific on that page?
> Arduino is described as "open source" on arduino.cc and wikipedia, eg. The
> open source wikipedia page covers "open source culture" as well, for another
> example.

I was wondering the exact same thing.  It could be that for things
other than software, the word 'source' is normally dropped.  I
personally feel that the term "open source" does encapsulate open
hardware and open culture, but I'm not certain that the meaning is
conveyed adequately.

That said, I think "open source" has the best recognition amongst
users and industry to describe what we do.  Would "open technology"
convey the same meaning?

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer