[Linux-aus] Gold Coast TechSpace (revised - revised) Grant Application

Steve Dalton steve at refactor.com.au
Sat Mar 31 16:20:37 EST 2012

Hi All
I just realised I had not sent the revised the grant application I
said I would - here is the final application below.
Regards
Steve

Date: 31/03/2012

Project Name: Gold Coast TechSpace Teaching and Learning Laboratory

Aim of Project: Promote Linux in the community on the Gold Coast by
giving hands on instruction on the use of Linux and Open Source
programmes.

Person Responsible for Request: Steve Dalton

Introduction

We recently formed the Gold Coast TechSpace in November of 2011 - a
collaborative space based on the Hackerspace Model with the aim to
provide a space for like-minded individuals to get together to share
ideas and learn from one another. The project is going well with us
having a large unit in Southport to call home for our projects.
Having incorporated as an Association with an active committee we have
seen our small membership base steadily grow.

Our setup is slightly different to other Hackerspaces; only half our
time, effort and space is dedicated to typical Hackerspace projects -
electronics, 3D printing etc. The other half is focused around a
learning lab where we can educate members and the public on how to
accomplish everyday tasks with Open Source technology. We are also
hoping to provide some focus on the business side of Linux and Open
Source as there is a huge gap in the local Gold Coast market, with a
lot of businesses defaulting to Windows and .net for development as
they are just not aware of the alternatives.

We regularly host the Open Source Gold Coast group (formally the Gold
Coast Linux Users Group) at the Gold Coast TechSpace building as well
as regular Bar Camps with members coming from as far as the New South
Wales border and Brisbane.  We encourage the public to attend any of
our regular scheduled meet-ups so they can come in and meet us all and
see how using Open Source can be a great way to achieve all those “If
only there was a way to do this” problems we all encounter in our
lives.

Some of the recent meetings we have held are:
- Installing Ubuntu on a laptop to use as a digital oscilloscope.
- Replacing Windows Server with Linux using Zentyal, Zarafa, SME
Server or Zimbra
- Zoneminder on an OLPC using the internal webcam for security monitoring.
- Teaching event - Linux based CAD and 3D modelling using Ubuntu,
FreeCAD and Blender
vSlic3r, Printrun and other 3D printing software for RepRap running on Linux
- Reprap and maker bot construction days.
vEnterprise Linux Session - Linux Terminal Server Project & Kickstart
Linux Installs

We hope to eventually make the space available to other Open Source
user groups that are based on the Gold Coast such as the Wordpess Gold
Coast, Drupal Gold Coast as well as technology innovation groups like
Silicon Beach Gold Coast which don’t have permanent place to hold
their regular meet-ups let alone one that can be equipped to their
needs.

Request
Amount asked for: $2000
We are seeking a grant because our teaching and learning laboratory
only has one computer.  We need to buy as many decently equipped
computers as we can to fill our teaching and learning laboratory as
our lack of computers is hampering our ability to teach, learn and
spread the use of Open Source technologies amongst our members and the
wider community.

Conclusion
A lot of people in Australia think of the Gold Coast as all about
Tourism and property development, and this is partially true, our
economy like our geography is very narrow.  However, there is also a
thriving technology community just desperate to break out and we have
setup the Gold Coast TechSpace as a hub for this.

At present, we have a chicken-and-egg problem. Without adequate
facilities, we won’t get more paying members and without more paying
members, we cannot buy the equipment we need to attract members and
demonstrate what can be achieved in a collaborative Open Source world.
This is why we are requesting Linux Australia for some financial
assistance to kickstart our teaching and learning laboratory so that
we can promote Linux and Open Source software in the Gold Coast
community and beyond.

If you have any further questions - feel free to email me back. I can
also be contacted on the mobile on 0414 464564