[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:03:49 EST 2012

On 20 July 2012 10:23, Michael Davies <michael at the-davies.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Gary Allpike <gary at allpikes.com.au> wrote:
>> It appears to me there is another agenda here, but no one will actually come
>> out and say what it is.
>
> http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/25/tinfoil_db52b2f10e7fa983f0f9d799a20.jpg

Yup, exactly.  It seems some people can't understand a simple premise
- that Linux Australia needs to change their name.

This is because it is perceived (not just by me, but by others as
well) as just an administrative body that gives money and does other
admin work for LUGs and other ordanisations and sub-committees.

Apart from Linux.conf, when was the last time Linux Australia did any
Linux advocacy?  When was the last time we saw a link to an article or
news item that had a quote form someone representing Linux Australia
regarding the promotion/use of Linux?

It's simple.  Linux Australia changes it's name to [Insert Umbrella
Administrative Organisation Name here], thus leaving the Linux
Australia name to be used by people who will do actual Linux promotion
and advocacy within Australia (and New Zealand, etc), which then is
able to receive funding from the aforementioned Umbrella organisation.

This Umbrella Organisation can then have it's own mailing list, where
other orgs and sub-committees, including Linux Australia, can then ask
for grants, funding, insurance coverage, etc.

There is no conspiracy theory. No hidden agenda.

> --
> Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net

Anestis.
--