[Linux-aus] Urgent / Important: Is "Computer Science" Science?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Jul 19 17:59:31 EST 2012

Hi all,

Submissions regarding the Draft Senior Science Australian Curriculum
close **tomorrow**.

This article in today's age made me think...
http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/science-subject-comes-under-fire-20120718-22alp.html

Hang on - Where's computer science?  Oh that's right it doesn't exist in
the brave new world of the new Australian Curriculum. It's a general
capability (ICT) or a "Technology" along with design, woodworking,
cooking and agriculture - in a strand called "Digital Technologies"

I've been to a couple of Google sponsored workshops advocating for the
promotion and redevelopment of computer science in high school. #CS4HS

So I have some thoughts on this. Perhaps you do too?

You have less than 24 hours to make a submission with your thoughts.

The draft curriculum is here:
http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_resources/Info+Sheet+-+Draft+Senior
+Secondary+Science+FINAL.pdf
(and hopefully attached)

Email submissions to Science at acara.edu.au

Make sure to use this cover sheet
http://consultation.australiancurriculum.edu.au/Static/docs/Senior%
20Secondary/Senior%20Secondary%20feedback%20cover%20sheet.docx

docx ? Oh no. Ok. I will attempt to attach it converted to odt.

More info here:
http://consultation.australiancurriculum.edu.au/

please redistribute or agitate, as you see fit.

cheers
Donna

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director