[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:13:25 EST 2012

Re-sending as I forgot the list only sends to the individual person on
reply, not the mailing list.  That needs to be fixed.

Hi all,

I've mostly been lurking, and persevered through all the arguments
about a name change, and I'm just wondering one thing.  Why do people
think changing Linux Australia's name is the end of Linux Australia?

To me, I believe the following is the situation:

Linux Australia has become more of an administrative body, providing
grants, insurance, etc.  In terms of promoting Linux recently, not so
much.  Therefore, the name change will reflect the over-arching
organisation that does the administrative work.

This does not preclude people using the Linux Australia.  In fact,
people can come in under the name of Linux Australia to promote and
advocate the use of Linux at home, in the workplace, in Government,
putting on conferences, etc, with the help of the Administrative Body
through the provision of grants and insurance.

The Administrative Body is the umbrella organisation, and the
sub-organisations, Linux Australia, the Python group, The Drupal
group, etc, will come under the Umbrella Organisation.

And I think this is a Good Thing(tm).

This is how I see things as they are, and I don't know why others
can't see it and why the arguments and bickering and back and froing
have to occur.

Anyway, just my five cents.
--
Anestis Kozakis | kenosti at gmail.com | http://www.akozakis.id.au/