[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Tom Garland tom.garland at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 04:16:22 EST 2012

On 07/11/2012 03:21 AM, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Because you’ve all proposed a very large amount of possible new names for Linux Australia, we need a way to shorten that list somewhat.
>
> Before we can put the suggested new name(s) to a final vote, we need to verify through the NSW Department of Fair Trading that the name is available and that we’re allowed to register it. Additionally, we need to be able to get the associated domain name(s). Since we’re only legally allowed to request three names to be reserved, the long list needs to first be whittled down to three.
>
> We will do this in an online vote using our website.
>
> The vote will allow you to rank all suggested names in your order of preference. You will not need to rank proposed names that you don’t want to support and you will be able to vote for “No name change”.
>
> All members will be able to participate in this vote.
>
> Once the vote is done, if the winner is not “No name change”, the council will attempt to reserve the top three names with the NSW Department of Fair Trading. We will then hold a run-off vote between these top three names. This vote will once again be optional preferential, meaning you can rank none, some or all of the suggested names in your order of preference. “No name change” will once again be an option.
>
> If the result of this vote is to change our name, the council will contact the NSW Department of Fair Trading and register the winning name as a Registered Business Name. We will then call a Special General Meeting to officially change the name of Linux Australia.
>
> It is a legal requirement that a minimum of 75% of voters need to vote in favour of a name change for the motion to pass.
>
> Once the first vote is set up and good to go, I will email this list and the announce list with specifics.
>
> Cheers,
> - Peter.

Peter, would you point to the current LA Name Change list so
it can be reviewed.

Also is the list still open to new names? Mine are -
LAFF - Linux Australia For Freedom
LA4F - Linux Australia 4 Freedom

Thanks - Tom
--
'Intellectual Property'. Intellect is virtual. Property is real.
'Virtual Reality' Duh!   Have Fun and Be Helpful - Toga