[Linux-aus] Spaghetti at the wall: LCA thoughts

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:31:53 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Also every dorm block had a kitchen table and chairs to seat at least
> > a dozen people.  Anyone could have organised a hack day in one of
> > those, I believe that such hack days generally don't have that many
> > people.
> >
> > Maybe the main thing that was missing in this regard is the meme that
> > people should run hack days.
>
> I think this is fairly key. It's tempting to say that if people really
> wanted <whatever> in close association with LCA they'd JFDI, and to some
> extent it's true (witness the collision of events on Sat Jan 14) but it
> has taken several years to come to fruitition. (It's not all downside,
> some of those Jan 14, including AdaCamp, are happier without LA/LCA
> affiliation due to somewhat different goals and audiences.)
>
> Associated events with the Official Conference Seal of Approval will
> take off faster, and thus if LA or the conference can identify
> events/activities likely to significantly improve LCA, they're more
> likely to be successful if officially affiliated somehow. If nothing
> else, there will be an element of "well, <event> was included in my
> registration, so why not?" and some of those "why not?" people will
> go on to become good contributors.

As a middle ground between things being organized by unaffiliated random
external groups and having the Council do all the work, the Council has put
a lot of work over the last year into making it easier to for
sub-committees to pop up to organise things. The LA organising
sub-committees, the Pycon subcommittee, and the LUG subcommittees that are
starting to pop up are just some examples - if someone wants to JFD a hack
day, the Council could potentially bless them as a subcommittee.

Does this sound like it would be useful?