[Linux-aus] Spaghetti at the wall: LCA thoughts

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Wed Jan 25 14:13:26 EST 2012

On 25 January 2012 13:45, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Coming out of LCA 2012, I thought it might be productive to have a
> speculative "how LCA could change for the better" thread, a big picture
> kind of thing that could perhaps inform the next five years of LCA.
>
> Disclaimer: I enjoyed LCA 2012, and I hope this email isn't hurtful to
> recent LCA organisers. It's not intended, and I hope won't be read, as a
> slam or even a criticism of past LCAs. I just think that every so often
> with a huge project like LCA a bit of brainstorming could help it
> continue to improve.
>
> I also realise that much of the stuff I am talking about here is
> actually too big picture for 2013, who've already had to do a lot of
> concrete planning and locking things in. It's really intended for 2014
> and later.
>
> Finally: brainstorming style, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall here
> to see what sticks. Perhaps others would like to do the same, while of
> course appreciating that LA and LCA are run by mere humans who cannot
> make all our dreams come true.
>
> Unconference/hallway track
> --------------------------
>
> I know it's been done on and off, and I know it's partly a cost/venue
> problem, but I continue to wish that the hallway track could become more
> official: seating, power, breakout rooms, unconference and/or sprint or
> hack days, something of that nature. Possibly even at the expense of the
> main event to some degree.
>
> Continuity
> ----------
>
> I have sometimes wondered if LCA bids should be for two years. That is,
> you bid to hold the conference in your city two years running. This
> structure is used by some other FOSS conferences, including quite large
> ones like US PyCon (which has IIRC 2000+ attendees).

PyCon AU has adopted this model and the second time running it was a lot
smoother. It is however tempting to "do all the things you missed first
time".

> The main advantage to this is re-using work in the second year of the
> conference: unless there was a serious problem you use the same venue,
> accommodation, social venues, A/V hire, at least a core group of
> volunteers, etc.

I think we are slowly coming to a solution for A/V. There is no reason the
whole team needs to change, keeping the same A/V over the years could work
even if the whole team above them changes.

Tim