[Linux-aus] Admin certificate help!

Kanchana Wickremasinghe kanchanaw at senathltd.com
Mon Jan 2 17:21:14 EST 2012

Hi Graeme,

It is never too old to start a career or start something new.
Certificates are secondary if you can learn and have the ability to
apply what you had learn, I believe that is more valuable than getting a
certificate.

If you are a fast learner of programming languages you should be able to
pick-up most of these languages very quickly. Also there are heaps of
Frameworks available today so that you don't have to hand-code
everything from scratch. Therefore a good knowledge of Frameworks will
be important as well if you decided to become a developer.

However you may also want to think about whether you wants to become a
admin or a developer.

My 2 cents worth !!!

Good luck and all the best !!!!

> Hi All,
>
> I'm needing your advice, I'm a 45 year old bloke that has been using
> linux for awhile personlly and been an admin for my clubs server but
> thats about it no commercial expeirence. I'm studing linux Admin by
> reading "Unix and Linux system Administration handbook 4th edition"
> but am also studing "Bash scripting, PhP MySQL and will be studing
> either Perl or Python, Now for my questions,
>

> 1/ Am I told old to start this as a carree (No need to be nice)
>
> 2/ Shold I get a certificate such as LPI or wait for a Junior position
> come up and apply for it ( I read that certificates are not looked
> upon that well?)
>
> 3/ Perl or Python?
>

> Thanks for your help
>
> Graeme