[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Wed Aug 29 00:48:21 EST 2012

On 28 August 2012 22:56, James Polley <jamezpolley at gmail.com> wrote:
> *removes all hats except the one that looks like it may have spent time
> under a bridge in an earlier phase of life*

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
>> We now, in the LCA 2013 team, are spending huge amounts of time trying to
>> find things that will be both inoffensive and appealing, for a whole range of

Ah, inoffensiveness. One of my favourite recollections from running
LCA in Brisbane was doing a web search for lca and coming across some
forum thread where someone was complaining about how far away Brisbane
was, and that he'd just skip 2002 because it'd be much closer next
year. Knowing that the next one was going to be in Perth still makes
my heart flower with golden buds of joy.

> I'm not sure how much more FU we can get than *not having anyone at all
> willing to make a bid*.

Eh. That's what happened immediately after CALU in '99. Maybe not
having an lca in 2014 is what we need to remind ourselves why it's
worth all the effort, angst and heartache.

> LCA is designed anew each and ever year. Every single conference team starts
> from an empty slate. If this years conference looks a bit like last year's,
> that's only because this year's team chose to incorporate successful
> elements from last year's conference.

That's both true and not true. It's true in the sense that (at least
in my experience) that's what the LA council and previous LCA
organisers tell the new team; it's not true in the sense that there
are a bunch of community members that are heavily invested in what LCA
has been. One example of that that hit the lists (as opposed to just
hitting the organisers) was the suggestion of changing the name of
"Linux Australia" during the lead up to LCA 2007. It's a lot easier to
say that LCA teams can throw away any unwanted baggage from past
conferences than it is for LCA teams to actually do that.

>> Keeping a
>> positive attitude, contributing where you can, and forbearing negative
>> comment, is what makes an LCA really epic.

The other side of this is focussing on the positive feedback you get,
and letting the negative feedback wash off.

Remember: positive feedback in the positive feedback loop, negative
feedback in the negative feedback loop. It's easy! ;)

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au>