[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Tue Aug 28 17:20:42 EST 2012

So much to say.

Sitting in Senj on the Croatian coast.

What I'd do.

Contact convention centres / large hotels in Newcastle, Gold Coast, Auckland and Adelaide and ask for proposals.

Look at business model of conference and cut fat to find savings to hire a production team.

lca is actually a pretty simple conference, and relatively small in the scheme of things. A lot of unnecessary angst is generated by the way we do things, and headaches and hangovers caused by toxic members of the community.

It can easily be done with a distributed team, and a professional production company.

The bigger question is not how to do it, but whether or not we still need and want this conference.

If no one wants to run it because it's just too much work, the workload can be addressed. But if no one wants to run it because they don't want to sign up for the toxic bikeshedding - that's a very different problem.

Kisses from the Adriatic,

Donna.