[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Tue Aug 28 16:39:50 EST 2012

On 28/08/12 16:10, Simon Lyall wrote:
> Many of the other events are over 1-2 days for <200 people. I'll make a
> guess and say they might be a 10th of the work to hold compared to LCA (
> Others feel free to correct ).

With any official hat off (LA, PyCon AU, LCA ghost etc)...

Having just finished running PyCon AU and also having been a
co-organiser of LCA09 I would say it's about 2/5ths. In fact PyCon AU
was 2/5th of LCA on nearly all fronts: 2/5th's the streams/talks,
2/5th's the days, 2/5th's the events and 2/5th's the delegates (it was
also 2/5ths the number of organisers so I'm not sure if that negates it
all....).

That's not to say that there was only 2/5ths the amount to organise but
it became that way due to the way it was ran. Because of its size we
were able to do it in a convention centre which took a huge load off us.
It meant all of the venue logistics and set up were taken care off,
accommodation wasn't our problem and if we needed something there were
staff there to help.

Basically I think LCA can (and needs to be) ran smarter. Offload more
work to professionals (such as AV and networking) and drop unnecessarily
complicated items (such as swag and shirts).

I believe that an LCA bid can show these smarter improvements and be a
lighter load to those involved and therefore more viable.

Cheers,
Josh