[Linux-aus] Browser/OS checks - smarthinking.com

Bob Hepple bob.hepple at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:07:57 EST 2012

On 27 August 2012 15:48, Arjen Lentz <arjen at lentz.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> One of my thoughts is an indirect approach that might work: wouldn't online resources of Australian universities have to comply with federal guidelines on accessibility (even when using an external service provider). Exactly on how to play that card I haven't figured out, so ideas welcome! Also other angles and thoughts.

Many years ago I wrote a careful and polite email to the Bureau of
Meteorology on exactly the same topic as, at that time, their
wonderful rainfall radar website would only work with a limited number
of proprietary browsers (guess who? and no, Apple weren't a player at
that time). I argued that as a government agency delivering a public
good, they should support a wide set of browsers including those
developed by the general public, not just those sold by a foreign
multinational corporation. In due course I received a polite reply
from no less than the Director of the BoM stating that he had
instructed his technical staff to make it so. I can only assume that
mine was not the only voice being heard - so I would encourage you to
write to this provider and to encourage other users to write in the
same vein and to frame your argument in the light of todays browser
realities. No doubt you've already got the numbers to hand showing
that Firefox > Chrome or IE. The company I work for (in the payments
industry) wouldn't dream of excluding Firefox (or Chrome).

Best of luck with that and take heart, it's not unwinable by any means
- if they intend to stay in business.

Cheers

Bob