[Linux-aus] UEFI secure boot - press release framework

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Mon Aug 6 23:46:53 EST 2012

Hi all,
Just building on Brent's outline - possible 'frame' for UEFI press
release on LA position
(keep in mind I don't know LA's position on this but am guessing we're
not liking it)

Who is our audience? LifeHacker? Laypeople?

--------------------------

{Dateline}
{Location line}

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / NO EMBARGO

Title: Secure boot: needs polishing

Paragraph 1
Explain what the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is, what it does,
how it is a replacement for BIOS. Need to explain concept of secure
boot. This could best be illustrated with a metaphor. "We've seen the
Hackintosh. We've seen PCs running Linux. The freedom to de-couple
hardware from software is a privilege that many of us take for granted.
Secure boot jeopardises this" - ie make the threat explicit.

Paragraph 2
Explain advantages and disadvantages of secure boot. Illustrate this
with an example "I buy laptop xx and want to run Linux on it, secure
boot could stop that if the drivers are unsigned" <-- if that doesn't
make sense, correct me (patches welcome...). Conclude with LA's position
- ie "... it is for this reason that LA holds advocates the position"...

Paragraph 3 - quote from industry luminary (? Mr Garratt) on the issue,
supporting position

Paragraph 4 - supporting quote from other source - possibly any
manufacturers who don't support secure boot (?guessing they are few and
far between)

Paragraph 5 - Summary of other positions on the issue, and how LA's
position differs or is similar - this "positions" LA in the debate

Paragraph 6 - Further background and history on the issue

{Media contact}

###

--
Kathy Reid