[Linux-aus] Fwd: What is LA's response to UEFI Secure Boot?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:54:36 EST 2012

Brent,

It's great to see people keen to get involved in advocacy on this issue.

With broad brush strokes I can say that the LA position so far has been
that Secure Boot is not in itself inherently a bad thing, it's just that
the possibility that hardware manufacturers may make it harder than it
needs to be for anyone to install an OS other than the one their hardware
came with... is a bad thing.

I very much recommend that anyone who missed Matt Garrett's LCA2012 talk on
UEFI and secure boot take a look at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aq5M3Q76U&playnext=1&list=PL29F2E5E2064A6539&feature=results_main

[Spoiler: we may be worried about the wrong thing]

So yes, it would be very useful to have the collective intellect of LA take
an interest in this issue.

--
MC