[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia cast PyCon adrift?

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Thu Apr 26 21:59:56 EST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM, David Newall <david at davidnewall.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/12 14:33, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
>> I believe that something like "Open Source (Communities) Australia"
>> indicates that the organisation encompasses Free and Open Source
>> projects beyond Linux. It seems to me that with such a name, it would
>> be clearer that the organisation covers the Python community in
>> Australia, also the Drupal community -- many communities -- and not
>> just the Linux Community.
>
> If the Python community are put out by our unashamed attachment to our
> Linux roots, might we not be better to cut them loose and use our
> energies (and finances) to support a more grateful and less embarrassed
> group?  Might sound harsh, but give it fair thought.

I am very embarrassed about this statement and want to apologize to
all the communities that have found themselves at home under the Linux
Australia umbrella. None of you are exploiting our energies and
finances - on the contrary: you are providing your energies and the
financial returns of your events to contribute to the Linux Australia
community.

I also want to thank Chris for taking the time to explain his
position. He has done a great job in explaining why we need to change
the umbrella under which we work. His conference is only one of an
increasing number that all have a great impact in the Australian open
source community. We want to continue supporting such great work, not
discourage it.

Best Regards,
Silvia.