[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:24:21 EST 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:42, Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh at ozlabs.org> wrote:

> Eg. a potential sponsor or company looking at sending delegates to the
> Drupal conference looks up $NEW_ORG_NAME and realises that the money
> they spend may also go to help fund WordCamp. That may end up being more
> of a disincentive than it going Linux activities ;-)

Errm, I for one would entirely object to signing up a company that
fully objected to funding a Linux organisation.

The issue that I'm highlighting is people assuming "This conference is
run by Linux".  It's not an objection to the fact that their money
would go to Linux, it's an objection that it isn't clear in their
minds how their money supports Python.

In other words, the problem is not people who go and look up what LA
does, the problem is the people who *don't* and pass their judgement
of the organisation on a misconception based on its name.

I hope this makes sense.

> If there are significant numbers of sponsors and companies who fund
> delegates who are that concerned about some of the profits from
> the conference they sponsor going to other open source projects,
> perhaps completely separate legal entities for these conferences are
> needed rather than just a name change.

That would eliminate the benefit that having a single umbrella
organisation provides to us -- i.e. reduced administration costs,
shared liability insurance, etc etc etc.

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --
AIM: chrisjrn157 -- MSN: chris at neugebauer.id.au -- WWW: