[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 23

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:01:07 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:09, Paul Gear <paul at libertysys.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Just curious: how has the name damaged LA's ability to assist the python
>> community?
>>

> As mentioned in the main thread, LA is the parent organisation for
> PyCon Australia.  I'm organising PyCon Australia for LA in 2012 and
> 2013.
>
> There are two issues that the LA name has had in my organisation of
> the conference:
>
> * The first is explaining the role of Linux Australia to potential
> sponsors with respect to PyCon.  This includes training away the
> preconception that their money is being used to support Linux and not
> Python.
> * The second is explaining the nature and focus of the conference to
> delegates.  When they see "PyCon Australia, a Linux Australia
> conference" (something we are required to do legally), an assumption
> is made that it's a "Python on Linux" conference.  I've had to work to
> convince some people to come by quashing this (not entirely
> unreasonable) preconception.
>
> I'm very strongly of the view that having a name that more broadly
> encapsulated the view of LA's role with PyCon Australia would save me
> a considerable amount of work.
>
> You will note the number of replies I've made to this thread.  I
> believe that the effort I've taken to write these replies will pay off
> in droves in dealing with sponsors and delegates for our 2013
> conference.
>
> --Chris

Hullo Chris

I can see why the attendees might like clarification on conference scope.
Why do you think that changing the name of the sponsor organisation is
a good solution to their questions?

If LA changes its name to an open source or FLOSS name you will still
have attendees asking you about scope.
LA cannot rename itself to be inclusive of all platforms and still be
coherent as an organisation itself.

If you were only sponsored by IBM or only sponsored by Microsoft your
attendees would still be interested in conference scope.
That does not mean the sponsors need to be renamed?

You could diffuse the scope questions by being proactive in your
marketing, program, call for papers description.
It is a nice selling point to specify that your conference is cross
platform why not sell it such that noone needs to wonder.

You could also make platform obviously diffuse by attracting more than
one sponsor.

It is also true that if your conference consistently delivers a
program which is inclusive and cross platform then that track record
will reduce questions.

I think your attendees asking the question is symptomatic that you
have a feature and not a bug.

Best wishes

Janet