[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Wed Apr 25 23:13:28 EST 2012

On 25/04/12 21:25, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 21:09, Paul Gear<paul at libertysys.com.au>  wrote:
>> >  Just curious: how has the name damaged LA's ability to assist the python
>> >  community?
> * The first is explaining the role of Linux Australia to potential
> sponsors with respect to PyCon.  This includes training away the
> preconception that their money is being used to support Linux and not
> Python.
> * The second is explaining the nature and focus of the conference to
> delegates.  When they see "PyCon Australia, a Linux Australia
> conference" (something we are required to do legally), an assumption
> is made that it's a "Python on Linux" conference.  I've had to work to
> convince some people to come by quashing this (not entirely
> unreasonable) preconception.

Would it be fair to say that our name hasn't damaged our ability to
assist the Python community, but merely caused an additional task for
the organisers?

One other point: how is Python on Linux different to Python on other
platforms?  Isn't it more similar than different, to the point that the
underlying platform is almost irrelevant?  Doesn't angst at attending a
Python conference sponsored by us indicate a hostility to Linux that
exceeds devotion to the language?  Religious mania is core to our
principles and history, and frankly, won't be mislead by a change of
name.  If they hate Linux they'll hate it just as much under a different
name.