[Linux-aus] Would Someone Call an SGM to Change the Constitution to Reflect the "Real" Name?

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Wed Apr 25 16:51:34 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:38:51PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> On 25/04/12 13:20, James Polley wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au
> > <mailto:lloy0076 at adam.com.au>> wrote:
> >
> >     Call a special general meeting to change the organisation's name?
> >     You lot seem to want it, quit talking the talk and just walk the
> >     walk...
> >
> > There's no point calling an SGM at this stage. When an SGM gets called,
> > the exact motions to be voted on at the SGM need to be included in the
> > notice of the SGM. At this point, there's not even a consensus on *if*
> > the name should be changed, let alone *what* it should be changed to.
>
> Do you see there being some sort of polling process before such a SGM to
> settle on a name? These threads are unlikely to ever resolve into a
> consensus.

I think that would be sensible. I would like the discussion to
continue for at least a week, since I think for the most part it has
been fairly positive.

At that stage I think we'll use a survey tool to see what names are
the most popular.

With the regards to the SGM, council had a discussion about this at
Face to Face. We feel that this is a quite an important decision for
us to make as a community and one for which it should be possible for
every member of our community to easily vote and not just those that
organise proxies or can attend the SGM.

Unfortunately, it seems we can't do this with our existing
constitution. (I'm surprised we didn't catch it last time!). So what
we may end up doing is hold an SGM to change our constitution to allow
having SGMs online. Then assuming that passes, we would hold an SGM
for the name change online so that everyone can more easily have their
say.

Cheers,
John

--