[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:48:10 EST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:29, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> >
> > Indeed, people can't expect to have all the cakes in the shop - pick the
> one
> > you want, then leave the others for someone else to claim.
> >
> > IOW, if the name is changed, you really have forfeited the right to keep
> > exclusive to yourself the name " Linux Australia "
> >

> Why not? I would imagine that maintaining a group under the
> newly-named organisation for the advocacy of Linux issues would be a
> perfectly sensible course of action.  This is how the current LA is
> managing its many interests across the Open Technology spectrum: There
> are groups, under the auspices of LA that runs a Drupal Conference, a
> Python Conference, and several Linux user groups.  All of them speak
> for different groups of people, and maintain their own identity that
> is entirely separate from LA.
>
> Do you expect PyCon Australia to give up its rights to the name "PyCon
> Australia" simply because it's run by an umbrella organisation with a
> different name?  Your conclusion is, quite frankly, absurd.
>
> There is absolutely no reason why a newly-named Open Tech umbrella
> organisation (currently known as "Linux Australia" with a possible
> name change) couldn't keep "Linux Australia" as an advocacy group.

Even if you ignore linux.conf.au, LA already has two linux advocacy
sub-committees - one targeting the Sydney area and another Newcastle.
Approving a request to spin up another subcommittee to do something similar
on a national level would (I imagine, speaking with my council member hat
firmly locked in the closet) be a no-brainer.