[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Apr 22 23:18:17 EST 2012

On 22/04/2012 1:44 PM, John Ferlito wrote:
> We think it is time for us to change the name of our organisation to have it
> more accurately represent the focus of our community.

We discussed this at PLUG for similar reasons.

First, as the only recognised LUG in WA, the "P" seemed perhaps a little
restrictive.
Second, as here, we're all about Linux *and *Open Source - the entire
ecosystem.

However, after some debate we found that the established recognition of
being a LUG out weighed a name change. We felt that many generally
understood the association of Linux to include the Open Source
communities. Oh, and the puns we have with naming stuff[1] was far too
amusing; so we've stayed as PLUG.

WRT LA => something else, I think -1 on name changes I've seen thus far.
Two options I can put forward:

1) I'd hazard "Linux & Open Source Australia". Keeping the /Linux/ in
the name at this stage would be useful IMHO, and if necessary could
potentially serve as a stepping stone as part of a multi-year transition
to something else if required (a debate for 5 years down the track).
/
/

2) the simple inclusion of a "tag line" to the organisation name, along
the lines of:

*    Linux Australia
    /for Linux and Open Source communities/
*
.. and appropriate changes to the constitution's Objects of the
Association (if applicable[2]) to give equal measure to OSS (which I
assume would happen anyway with a name change). But the association name
as it stands could remain unchanged.
/

/  James
[1] Mostly hosts, like bath.plug.org.au, pot.plug.org.au, and
shameless.plug.org.au are all still active, and in the past, "spark" and
"un".
--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>