[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Sun Apr 22 23:23:59 EST 2012

I support a name change in principle. Linux Australia has arguably
outgrown the name. Both the Linux part and the Australia part.

I don't feel inspired by any of the alternatives so far. Open Technology
Association of Australia and New Zealand is a fairly accurate
description but a terrible name.

I really don't like the use of Open at all - too many closed products
sold with that terminology. Looking at the SoC in front of me with
OpenGL, OpenVG and OpenMax closed binaries! And Free can be just as
confusing and both open up religious wars.

I like a name like HackerSpace. They go to a place and mess with things.
Makes perfect sense. Imagine if it was called an Open Technology
Workshop or a Free Hardware Kibbutz. Nope.