[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Hamish Taylor bubbiting at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 19:12:08 EST 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM, James Turnbull <james at lovedthanlost.net> wrote:

> John Ferlito wrote:
>> The council wants the community to discuss this potential name change and if
>> required, an appropriate name. One name that seems to accurately reflect our
>> shared values and our direction is Open Source Australia.

To be encompassing of all aspects of the community which LA currently
represents, I suggest: Open Technologies Association of Australia, or
something along those lines (Australian Open Technologies Association,
etc). This avoids the contentions between the Free (libre) software
movement and the Open Source software movement, avoids the pitfalls
with something with 'Free' in its name, and caters for more than just
software developers, by including open hardware, 3D printing, etc.

Hamish