[Linux-aus] Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft killing Desktop Linux.

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Sep 27 22:30:26 EST 2011

On 27/09/11 11:21 AM, Russell Stuart wrote:

> Maybe receiving a few more complaints on the same issue will address
> the last point, spurring them onto looking into it further.  If you
> do send a complaint, you could possibly have less "setting the
> scene" waffle than I did and instead devote more of the 1500
> characters they give you to making it plain why it is indeed a
> breach of the exclusive dealing provisions, thus addressing the 2nd
> point above.

Right, I've done that, but 1,500 characters really isn't enough to
cover it.  I neded up using a URL shortener to point them back here
and also to one of the news sites regarding the issue.  Still, I think
it at least shows enough concern about the three sections of the Act I
mentioned for them to maybe look at it.

I still haven't received my canned response, I guess it will come
tomorrow.  I have, however, saved my submission:

  I am writing in relation to the proposal by Microsoft for computer
  hardware vendors shipping with the upcoming Windows 8 operating
  system to be restricted to only being able to install and run
  Microsoft's operating system (http://t.co/NEn5bKnD).

  I believe this plan if implemented in Australia may be in breach of
  one or more of sections 45, 46 and 47 of the Competition and
  Consumer Act 2010.

  Microsoft retains vast market power in the PC/desktop market and is
  effectively able to dictate terms to hardware manufacturers. In the
  case of the proposed Windows 8 restrictions these terms would
  prevent end users from installing different operating systems
  (e.g. Linux, BSD and others) on the hardware they have
  purchased. This would result in locking existing smaller players out
  of the market in relation to any hardware vendor which agrees to
  Microsoft's terms; which would be most, if not all, of them. It
  would also place a significant barrier to anyone seeking to enter
  that market in the future.

  I have gone into a little greater detail regarding my reasoning
  behind how Microsoft's plan may contravene the Act which may be of
  use (http://t.co/S4nqghmU). Furthermore I am aware that you have
  already received some other complaints regarding this matter which
  detail technical aspects of the Windows 8 UEFI scheme.

  I trust you will investigate and act to prevent Microsoft's abuse of
  its position to permanently dictate the use of all PC hardware.

  Sincerely,
  Ben McGinnes

Even that small amount of information required some tweaking to get it
under their character limit (obviously it meant leaving a PGP/in-line
signature out of the equation too).  It's also quite possible that
they won't be able to (or bother to) check the URLs, but we can hope.
Obviously those URL shorteners were created when I linked to this
thread and the IT Wire article from Twitter.  ;)

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait for my canned response.

Regards,
Ben