[Linux-aus] What happened at the SGM?

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Wed Sep 7 17:59:13 EST 2011

On 05/09/11 21:57, Mike Carden wrote:
> I am very surprised though that the nay-sayer voices were utterly
> silent at the meeting. Not even a single negative proxy vote. Nothing.

Were there any nay-sayers apart, some might argue, from me?  I wasn't
there because travel to Sydney to oppose a change that apparently met
with (near) universal approval would have been pointless.  More
relevant, I opposed the documentation, or lack of it, not specifically
the change.    Had there been a way to give my proxy to somebody who
would have exercised it the way I wanted, I would have done so, but
there wasn't.  Like Mike, I, too was surprised.

It's a shame we no longer desire life members; and I feel sympathy for
grass-roots organisations who previously could obtain insurance for
their own events via associate membership, because that's no longer an
option, but presumably the council had good reason to cut them out (even
if that reason wasn't stated.)

Oh, did I say that out loud?