[Linux-aus] Is Admin dying out

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at fpsoft.net
Thu Oct 20 01:26:08 EST 2011

On 19.10.2011 02:00, Paul wrote:

> IMHO most business and SmallOfficeHomeOffice users remain
> NON-technical - self included, so unlikely Admin support is dying
> out.

I would have to totally agree with you on this one.

> Middle sized business still need Admins for regular maintenance,
> updating, upgrading, and fixing their computer assets when things go
> wrong.
>
> IMHO many middle sized business, remain with Microsoft due fear of
> additional difficulties for all users and upon their computer support
> workers from the change.

Interesting that this text should pop up in my mailbox this morning :)
The company I work for is a mixed environment with workstations running
Windows XP Professional and the servers running a mixture of Solaris (on
Sun hardware) and OpenSuSE Linux.  The reason I said this email's timing
was interesting is because just this morning our CEO called me asking me
to upgrade his version of Firefox and Thunderbird to the latest (both of
which he uses on his home PC).  I was surprised that since he is CEO he
doesn't have full access privileges, but when I mentioned that to him,
his response was, "That's what we have you guys [meaning myself and the
IT department manager] for." :)