[Linux-aus] Very Off Topic: Dog going back to its own vomit Was Re: Linux Australia Code of Conduct

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:08:07 EST 2011

I thought I'd radically retitle the e-mail so
those who are not interested can merely ignore the
discussion.

Again, this bit cites Humphrey McQueen 'A New
Britannia', "...like a dog going back to its own
vomit."

As this is merely to express an opinion in
relation to the erotic/sexual discussion, please
don't read on if you're not interested.

 From what I've read on the mailing list, there
was previous  discussion about the imagery used in
the Keynote last year.

I'm only referencing Rob Thomas
<xrobau at gmail.com>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:54:18 +1000
(and this is not a criticism of Rob by any
stretch) in which he states: "Almost everyone
agrees that the photo (if it's the one I'm
thinking of, with the two girls) was eroticism.
Few agree it was sexual. Therefore, the riot on
lca2011-chat."

If true I find this amazing.

After 25+ years in child protection, various
courts and working as sexual assault counsellor
and having completed an MA (Hons) (by research)
focusing on abuse of children (including sexual
abuse), I'm unaware of any research lit that shows
that those items which are considered erotic are
NOT sexually-laden.

The definition of 'the erotic' is the intent or
purpose to arouse sexually. Thus what is erotic is
sexual in nature.

This does not mean that person wish to engage in
sexual activity. This is a frequent issue within
discussions on the homoerotic elements of
heterosexual men's activities. However, it is
sexual in nature.

More specifically, much of the debate (legally and
academically) about pornography is permeated with
attempts to distinguish between the erotic and the
pornographic. Both are sexually laden but argued
to be different.

Hence my amazement that it appear 'most people'
came to a conclusion that an image was erotic but
not sexual.

Now back to working out whether Klingons would
beat Borg in a straight out biffo and how zombies
would impact on The Collective if let loose in a
Borg cube

;)

Regards,

Patrick