[Linux-aus] Code of Conduct.. Into the fray, I go again.

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Nov 28 22:03:38 EST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Rob Thomas <xrobau at gmail.com> wrote:
> And this is where we go round and round in circles again.  Almost
> everyone agrees that the photo (if it's the one I'm thinking of, with
> the two girls) was eroticism. Few agree it was sexual. Therefore, the
> riot on lca2011-chat.

Rob, I don't think that your claim in this regard is supported by evidence.
As examples I cite the below paragraphs from two messages on this list in the
last two days.

No contract that you might have will stop people debating issues if they don't
like the result.  Here are two examples of people who don't like the result
from last year and still want to debate it.  As long as such people are on the
list and free discussion is permitted (*) we will have such "riots".

(*) Free discussion is however significantly limited by Australian law.  A
discussion of similar topics in the ITWire comments section was censored after
a member of Stormfront joined the discussion.  Last I checked the ITWire
editors didn't even inform the readers why they had censored the discussion -
IMHO it's in the public interest to report the fact that KKK allies such as
Stormfront oppose Feminists and get involved in online disputes about it.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:
> hated it.  Personally, as an attendee I was indifferent to it.  But as a
> LCA organiser, I think it was great presentation.  I would strive to
> have one just as contentious at every LCA.  Why?  Because as a LCA
> organiser, my goals are to promote open source, and have people want to
> attend next years LCA.  There is no better way to achieve than to get
> people around the planet all talking about LCA, and that is Mark did -
> admittedly with some help from one of our sponsors.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/02/10/lca2011-harassment/

After LCA 2011 I wrote the above blog post addressing some of the issues that
were raised in the email discussions here, on the LCA-chat list, and in a blog
post by one of the men who was involved.  As you can see there was a lot more
than just whether the pictures were erotic or sexual.  In fact when writing my
blog post the issue of erotic vs sexual didn't seem important enough to even
get a mention.