[Linux-aus] Code of Conduct.. Into the fray, I go again.

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:14:06 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 17:35, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:

> You could even argue that Mark's pictures fit neither category;
> whether bondage or BSDM is always sexual/erotic is massive argument
> (along the same lines as is nudity always sexual?).
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM
>  The term "Bondage" describes the practice of Physical restraining.
> Bondage is usually, *but not always*, a sexual practice.

Two points:

1) I think the specific image used in the talk was sexual, regardless
of whether bondage in general is.
2) Whether it was sexually explicit, demeaning or offensive is a
different matter, and open to interpretation (as the thread on
lca2011-chat CLEARLY demonstrated), however, it was clearly against
the code of conduct adopted by LCA2011.

I personally think the "bug" raised in this thread is only a minor
one, and resolving it will not resolve specific issues with the tone
or intent of the draft CoC in question.  Resolving this specific bug
will not leave other flaws unattended.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer