[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:20:21 EST 2011

I'm with David here,

You cannot in good conscience, and from a
consistent ethical position, support both
conferences which condone discriminatory behaviour
and conferences which oppose such behaviour.

To suggest that it 'builds' a broad community is
laughable. It enforces and upholds the norms of a
group (usually the dominant or more powerful
group) which are discriminatory.

More so, conference should not have significantly
different rules on how people should treat each
other. I don't even know how this makes sense.
Either we should have respect and care for others
or not.

I'm not opposed to certain forms of humour.
However it is contextual. Conferences are open to
a range of people and should acknowledge it.

I've been to a great number (varying in content
and subject) and they've had very similar rules of
behaviour for presenters and attendees

I'm unclear as to any instance where a difference
conference within the context of GNU/Linux
promotion etc should have different rules of
behaviour.

Regards,

Patrick

> David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au>
> Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:52:50 +1030
>
> It is not OK for the Linux.Conf.Au organisers to hold talks that are considered racist, sexist, homophobic

SNIP