[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Sun Nov 27 20:28:15 EST 2011

On 27/11/11 8:59 AM, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 14:38 +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
>> The Drupal community has a code of conduct http://drupal.org/dcoc
>>
>> Jacinta Richardson very kindly offered to help me get the DDU CoC
>> done... but it's still currently in draft form.
>
> Here's the Draft we've been working on...

I don't have any experience in writing these things but as a consumer I
prefer the tone and readability of the Drupal, PyCon and the
geekfeminism template.

My preference would be to read a brief statement of the ideals for the
event and how to make a complaint and what the consequences might be.
Leave it to the organisers to determine if something was in the spirit
of the event or not.

If a long list is needed as a guide for the organisers it might be
better off in a procedures folder than facing the public. If necessary
have a link to a FAQ listing the sort of things that might be out of
bounds for the excessively clueless.

Having a point about "exclusionary humour of any kind" is going too far
for me. Obviously jokes can be very nasty and not in the spirit of the
event. But the key to me is spirit of the event. I wouldn't like to see
a speaker or attendee cautioned or ejected for a t-shirt like
http://store.xkcd.com/xkcd/#Science which has the potentially
exclusionary sexist word "bitches". This would be like kicking someone
out of church for quoting the bible. "Exclusionary humour of any kind"
doesn't leave much wiggle room and is a little scary.