[Linux-aus] 2011 Australian Humanitarian Engineering Conference

Sarah Stokely sarah at foxforcefive.com
Mon Nov 14 16:34:08 EST 2011

Greetings LA folks,
The Australian Humanitarian Engineering Conference is coming up in
Melbourne. I've taken the liberty of organising a discount for LA folks if
they want to attend.
Please excuse me if it seems too far off topic, but I had a chat with Nick
Byrne from Engineers without Borders (who is organising the conf) and they
are really keen to reach IT folks and I know there's a big overlap between
open source folks and 'code for good' type folks. :)
They are also looking at organising a hackfest or unconf for tech/webby
folks if there's enough interest - you can contact Nick directly if you
have any questions.

Cheers!
Sarah
--

Please find the enclosed information regarding an offer for Linux Australia
to attend

Special offer: Linux Australia at Student Prices

Engineers Australia and Engineers Without Borders are proud to bring you
imagineering - the
Humanitarian Engineering Conference 2011. The three-day conference will be
held at the Etihad
Stadium in Melbourne and will encapsulate many of the activities that have
taken place during
2011 - the Year of Humanitarian Engineering (YoHE).
Over the three days of conference, delegates will be taken from the point
of understanding the
issues surrounding poverty, reconciliation and the role of engineers in
attending to these issues to
celebrating the current and past activities the engineering sector has
undertaken in the areas of
disaster, poverty alleviation and capacity building.
On the following page you will find an overview of the program,
highlighting some keynotes and
the themes of the conference Delegates can expect a combination of high
quality seminars,
workshops and forums surrounding each streams theme, and all building
towards the bigger
picture of humanitarian engineering, and the humanitarian engineer.
A full conference program is available via the Year of Humanitarian
Engineering Website
(http://www.makeitso.org.au/yohe).
EWB, its community partners and our mission has been very privileged to
have had such a
spotlight on it throughout the year, and we are confident that the final
event, the conference, will
just mark the beginning of great things to come.
Please feel free to direct any questions to the undersigned; we look
forward to seeing you there.
Kind regards,
Nick Byrne
Project Lead | Year of Humanitarian Engineering
+61 (0) 408 067 029 | n.byrne @ewb.org.au

--
Sarah Stokely
Mobile: 0403 800 991 Twitter: @stokely Skype: sarah.stokely