[Linux-aus] Grant request: AdaCamp sponsorship

Mary Gardiner mary at adainitiative.org
Sun Nov 13 20:31:03 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:

> Also, what results have been achieved so far?
>
> For one, it seems like there are more women speaking at lca this year
> than in the past; I count 17 on the program for 2012 compared to 9 for
> 2011; out of 71 talks that's about a quarter. That's progress right?

In the prospectus we give the major outcomes from our point of view:

"""
In less than a year, the Ada Initiative has helped dozens of
conferences to adopt an anti-harassment policy to improve women’s
safety and participation at their events, raised $100,000 from over
100 donors, provided free consulting to several organizations on
increasing the participation of women in their communities, taught two
workshops, surveyed 2800 people about women in open tech/culture
communities, and added 19 members to our board of advisors, including
Mitchell Baker (CEO of Mozilla) and Sue Gardner (CEO of the Wikimedia
Foundation). We are incorporated in the U.S. as a 501(c)(3) charity
and have applied for tax-exempt status.
"""

There is a truly frightening amount of work embedded in that last
sentence, by the way.

-Mary