[Linux-aus] Event overlaps - and what to do to avoid them in the future

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Sun Nov 13 18:26:59 EST 2011

Just a note that you can never really resolve this for everyone:
whatever you do, there will always be some overlap for some people or
some inconvenience. If you spread it out over the days, some ppl will
complain that they have to take off time from work - if you don't you
get overlap. If you move it to the weekend, the locals will complain
for having to work on a weekend, if you don't the internationals will
say that they can't afford to spend more than a week overseas. You
just can't win.

Also: I don't think anything stops you right now from having your
event in parallel to the miniconfs - it's not like LCA could stop you
from offering an event in parallel to one of the miniconf days.
Shortening LCA would not really make a difference there. If you wanted
to go all the way, you could even convince the LCA organisers to run
your event as a miniconf or somewhat more intertwined with LCA.

I've been through this with FOMS and it's indeed a very hard decision
how to organise this such that you get sufficient interest and the
least conflict.

As for me and the AdaCamp - I am attending the Drupal event, so will
likely not be able to make AdaCamp. They were there first, so
priorities are already set. :-(

Cheers,
Silvia.