[Linux-aus] Event overlaps - and what to do to avoid them in the future

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu Nov 10 22:15:05 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

While I'm fully supportive of all the great open source / community /
tech events that are happening in mid-January, I would like to raise a
point for discussion.
We have a fair bit of event overlap.

Namely on Saturday 14th Jan 2012, the following events are happening or
about to happen in or near Melbourne.

1. Drupal Downunder (Friday 13th - Sunday 15th Jan), Melbourne
2. Hackerspace Melbourne's Maker Faire (somewhere in Melbourne), 14th
January
3. Adacamp, Saturday 14th January
4. It's the day before people start arriving for linux.conf.au in
Ballarat, around and hour west of Melbourne

While there is some diversity in the different events, and the cohorts
of people that would be likely to attend each, this does present a dilemma.
For instance, what's a girl to do if she's into PHP and Drupal, hacks
her own knitting with Lilypad Arduino, is into leadership of open source
and happens to be organising linux.conf.au? :P

*Some* overlap can be a good thing - such as going to DDU2012 while
you're in town, then heading to linux.conf.au, or similar with Maker Faire.

But seriously, what I'd like to propose is some sort of F/LOSS / open
source / linux type 'calendar of events' that helps to aggregate events
such as these and try and help prevent too much overlap.
Or aid in planning an open source event binge :P

Kind regards,
Kathy