[Linux-aus] Eliminating fees from the constitution?

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Tue May 3 09:22:15 EST 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I'd say we should avoid having to make further changes to the
> constitution in the future as much as possible because it's a painful
> process and IIUC it also costs us something to register it with the
> Dept of Fair Trading.

For people's reference, changes to the constitution must:
 1. pass by special resolution (that is, at a general meeting, with a
    three-quarters majority, given 21 days notice in advance)
 2. be filed within 28 days in the approved form, currently A6, with the filing
    fee, currently $41
    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Forms/Associations_forms.html#Form_A6__Application_to_change_objects_or_constitution

#1 is more onerous than #2 at least for LA presently. Constitutional changes
certainly aren't easy.

-Mary