[Linux-aus] Proposed constitutional changes: cessation of membership

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Mon May 2 17:41:15 EST 2011

On 01/05/11 07:14, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> In answer to David: in many associations, this fee is around $25+ per member,
> not really token.

What other associations choose doesn't really have bearing on what we
choose to do, so let us consider only the proposal before us, which is
to charge $2 (or, if some other amount is determined by the committee,
that other amount.)

Is there a good reason why the association should be put to the effort
and expense of collecting large quantities of trivial amounts?

The goal might be to introduce a more significant fee by stealth, but I
am certain that it is not the case.  If, in the future, a real fee needs
to be charged, I have no doubt that the then current committee will want
to make their own appropriate constitutional change, including terms of
collection.

Quite honestly, I can see the current proposal, if passed, being used in
future to thwart other, naive members.  Following the KISS principle, if
the goal is simply to have a legal, financial standing of members, then
99 years is the traditional period of time for us to use.  It's been
legally tested by time and I see every reason why we should adopt it.