[Linux-aus] Request for Sponsorship for Barcamp Gold Coast on 2nd April

Steve Dalton steve at refactor.com.au
Wed Mar 30 17:48:09 EST 2011

Hi Mary

It was anything up to $700 and I would have made up the difference -
but since sending this out, Tom Lee at Shine Technologies has kindly
stepped forward and offered the whole $700. Good on you Tom.

If LA still wanted to contribute something, I am happy to take it and
put it on the Bartab afterwards - but it's not really essential
anymore.

In answer to the other question about Barcamps - well in my experience
you get a lot of talk about open source projects, Linux is usually
pretty common and I have found them an excellent opportunity to link
us MS/Apple/Linux users and cross polinate - there are still some
people that turn up who have never even really seen a Linux desktop -
so it's cool for them to see a lot of people using it productively in
there day-day work and doing demos/presentations with it. I also
usually give out Distro CDs and have a few isos on my laptop that I
can burn for people on demand.

On a seperate note - I did a presentation at my Java User group this
week and was very pleased to see my linux laptop worked BETTER with
the projector than the other presenters using Macs. WIN!

Steve

--
Refactor
Engage. Succeed. Repeat.