[Linux-aus] Request for Sponsorship for Barcamp Gold Coast on 2nd April

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 30 16:07:43 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011, Michael Still wrote:
> IIRC LA has sponsored bar camps in the past. Perhaps I missed it,
> but I'm not clear on what the rationale for that is -- I can't think
> of how bar camps further the interests of LA, apart from there being
> a likely overlap between the attendees at such an event and our
> members. Is that overlap sufficient reason for sponsorship?

(Not yet intending to express a strong opinion here myself.)

http://linux.org.au/projects/grants currently says:

"""
The request must:
 - Be for the good of a project that relates to Linux or Open Source
 - Have some tangible result (such as a finished bit of code, a piece of
   hardware, a web site) so the community can feel the funds are being well
   used
"""

I think a conference/event occurring has constituted a "tangible result" in the
past? Perhaps that part of the policy could be clearer about events
(particularly events that aren't exclusively/mainly open source). My impression
is that that wording was intended to exclude things like "I will work on this
code for X hours, but I don't guarantee any actual result".

"... the good of a project that relates..." is rather vague at least sounds
like it *could* include BarCamps as long as there are Linux or open source
related presentations, I think.

-Mary