[Linux-aus] Additional Linux User Group

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jun 29 13:36:30 EST 2011

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, David Joshua Geary <bianca.uranus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Request addition of Australian Associate Computer Club Linux meeting to
> the Linux Australia list of Community User Groups at
> https://www.linux.org.au/foss_in_australia/LUGS/NSW.
>
> Narara, New South Wales (Central Coast near Gosford)
> Australian Associated Computer Club
>
> http://aacc.asn.au/

I think that perhaps we need a different set of pages for non-LUGs that offer
some support of Linux.  Probably most people who visit a list of LUGs won't be
looking for an organisation that has Windows support outweighing Linux support
by a factor of 2:1.

While not directly about Linux BUGS seems appropriate for the list of LUGS as
there are lots of things you can learn about BSD and expect that they will
work on a randon Linux distribution (such as all the stuff that was copied
from the original BSD Unix decades ago).

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site:www.unsw.compsoc.net+linux

The UNSW computer society seems to have little to do with Linux (only 8 hits
for Google).  If they do some significant Linux stuff then their web site
needs improvement, I can't imagine the typical person who is referred from a
list of LUGS wanting to attend one of their meetings.

Also the UNSW computer society seems to be only for UNSW students, so having
them in the list when most people who read that list are not permitted to
attend seems like a bad idea.  I'm sure that UNSW students don't typically
check external web sites when trying to discover campus resources.

On a related note I don't think that organisations that have significant
membership fees or other barriers to entry deserve links from the LA web site.
I think that a random interested person should be welcome to attend a meeting
for free or for some trivial cost (EG $2 or less) for a group to be included.
I suggest $2 as a maximum fee because I know that some LUGs levy small fees to
cover refreshments etc.

https://www.linux.org.au/foss_in_australia/LUGS/VIC

In terms of the Victorian list, I doubt that a BeOS group was ever a LUG, and
it also seems unlikely that they are having BeOS meetings any more as the
company has been officially dead for 10 years.

IMHO a list of LUGs should only contain LUGs and groups dedicated to
supporting other free Unix systems (EG *BSD and HURD, not Solaris).  Such
groups should have the same entry requirements as LA itself, IE nothing other
than the costs of hosting the event (LCA is AFAIK the only LA thing that
people pay for).

People visit a web page expecting certain content and we should try and give
them what they reasonably expect.