[Linux-aus] World ipv6 day

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Fri Jun 10 10:51:58 EST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011, John Ferlito wrote:
> > To actually server a page up via IPv6 you just need to have a AAAA
> > record in DNS. Which is basically what everyone involved did on IPv6
> > Day.
>
> Having IPv6 nameservers also would be practically necessary for completely
> native IPv6 connections, correct? org.au has no such nameservers (which
> isn't
> Linux Australia's fault!)

I think this is some way off - a lot on infrastructural services (such as
DNS) will continue to run on v4 for some time.  That doesn't mean we
shouldn't do what we can to migrate our _own_ services, but the prospect of
a v6-only stack is probably some time off.  In the mean time, running both
v4 & v6 internally and externally is a very good start.

Thanks for the IPv6 work, admin team!

Absolutely!  Bring on the future!
--
Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do something
that