[Linux-aus] BarCamp Geelong - 9th July - formal request for grant $500

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 6 23:06:38 EST 2011

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:
> We really need a metric load more stuff going on in regional centres.
> There's something FLOSSY on just about every week in the big smoke -
> meetups, user groups, etc... but that's just not possible to sustain in
> smaller cities and towns.

We should have more events like the inaugural Ballarat LUG meeting.

The BLUG meeting in question was run on a Saturday and a bunch of people from
LUV traveled there to give talks about various topics.  It was a small
conference.

Some LA funding for travel/accommodation and food for such events would be a
good thing.  To follow the BLUG model we need money for food (something other
than just sausages in bread would be good and a Vegan option would be great)
and some portion of hotel expenses.

Note that I'm not volunteering to run such an event (I live in the Melbourne
metropolitan area) but I would be happy to give a talk at such an event.