[Linux-aus] Affiliates no longer welcome

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Fri Jul 22 23:30:32 EST 2011

On 20/07/11 15:51, Brenda Aynsley wrote:
> I suspect David is saying, without saying it, that in chucking out all
> the Linux Australia constitutional history, that the baby is going out
> with the bathwater.  Maybe a good cleanout is a good thing, but knowing
> what is being chucked out is not a bad thing either.

Thank you, Brenda, for putting it so well.  I thought that was what I
said, but after a week with no support I suppose I must have said it poorly.

I don't oppose a good clean out.  I just want to know, and think it only
proper we be told, what is to change.  "Current practices," has no
meaning, "new model," is not sufficient, and "alter financial year"
describes the least part of it.

I fully support Brenda's suggested way forward.

> I would like to suggest a way forward,
>
> 1. Agree on adopting the model rules
>
> 2. Identify the bits that are missing from the old constitution and add
> them if each bit is still required to be part of the constitution.
> Where conflict exists between the new model rules, and after all they
> are simply a template that complies with the legislation, resolve the
> tension and at the end of the day the legislation rules!

Arguments in support of each change should be included, too.  For
example, the new fees and changes to others need to be justified.
They're not current practice; and as we decide our own fees, ascribing
them to "the new model" isn't right.  I'm not fundamentally opposed to
new or increased fees, but without justification I must oppose them.

I have scrutinised our current "as agreed" constitution as well as the
new model, and also the Act's requirements; it looks like we could
merely add a section stating the new financial year.  I don't oppose
re-making all of our constitutional history starting from the new model,
even though it is a lot of work.

> After all it's not one thing (model rules) or the other (the old
> constitution).

I thought I said this, too, but Brenda said it better.

Thank you, Brenda, for your valuable input.