[Linux-aus] Proposed Linux Australia Constitution Changes

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Fri Jul 15 19:09:30 EST 2011

On 15/07/11 12:57, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Did you even read John's original email and the changes that were made?

Well, yes, of course.  Funny sort of question to be asking.

> Check out :
> https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution/commit/7707b086bf74f1960eab7aae07a43be6837d3ca0
> for the change that introduced the proxy votes into the re-based model rules.

I think you completely misunderstood what I said.  The point I made is
that neither old nor new model constitutions completely meet our needs.
I gave the example of proxies, which the new one doesn't allow (probably
the old didn't, either), to illustrate that we can't just use the new
model without making extensive changes; as extensive as those we already
made for our current constitution.

> The council has documented all the changes that they made to bring the
> current model rules in line with the intention of the old
> constitution.

So you say, but you're wrong.  The intention of the old constitution
includes affiliate members. The proposed changes remove them.

Have you given my words honest and open consideration?  I think not,
because I've been on about hidden changes, and you claim that the
proposal is in line with the current constitution which rather gives the
impression that you never noticed there were any.

> They have managed to solve a situation where
> we are working under a constitution that is outdated, didn't include
> several of the changes that the community agreed to in previous years,
> and didn't include several of the clauses that are now required by new
> constitutions.

Here you seem ignorant of my repeated caveat that when I mention the
"current constitution" I take it as that which is presently published on
our web.  That constitution is not outdated, other than needing a clause
stating what is the financial year, and it already meets the changes
that were agreed to in previous years, as you put it.  The only thing
remaining to be done is to lodge it!